By John Morreall
50 nice Myths approximately Religions is an exciting, informative, and infrequently funny creation to a couple of the lengthy status myths that encompass spiritual trust. This attractive publication gets its readers brooding about how and why sure myths have arisen, and their carrying on with impact on our own and collective view of religion.
deals a full of life, informative, and thought-provoking advent to a couple of the typical misbeliefs surrounding religions
- Discusses myths approximately spiritual trust more often than not, in addition to particular principles that encompass Judaism, Christianity, Islam, atheism, and agnosticism
- Covers quite a lot of myths, from old legends akin to the Bible forbidding beef being eaten since it explanations sickness, to fashionable city fables, resembling Barack Obama being a Muslim
- Unpacks each one fable in flip, explaining why it arose, the way it unfold, and why the ideals that stem from it are questionable
- Includes a desirable dialogue approximately human nature, and the most features that predispose us to create and move myths to start with
- Underpinned by means of a large wisdom of educational study, it truly is written by means of revered faith students and skilled authors
Read or Download 50 Great Myths About Religions PDF
Best Religion Spirituality books
During this probing, not easy and private account of his personal religion and emotions approximately God and faith, Paul Johnson explores the proof for God's lifestyles; the character and gender of God; the matter of evil; attractiveness, paintings and God; our tasks towards animals and the surroundings; the significance of authority, rite and liturgy; the Christian church and different faiths; altering attitudes towards demise; the Day of Judgment; the lifestyles of Hell; and the makes use of of prayer.
Madhyamaka and Yogacara are the 2 primary faculties of Mahayana Buddhist philosophy. whereas Madhyamaka asserts the last word vacancy and standard fact of all phenomena, Yogacara is generally thought of to be idealistic. This number of essays addresses the measure to which those philosophical methods are constant or complementary.
This attention-grabbing publication considers platforms of trust and perform which aren't religions within the full-blown feel, yet which however have an effect on human existence in methods just like the position performed via the regarded religions. Professor Smith's thorough account compares the gains which Humanism, Marxism and Nationalism percentage with regarded religions, analysing every one in flip, and asks even if there isn't continually a chance of the demonic whilst any contingent truth - guy, the commercial order, or the kingdom - is made absolute.
Extra resources for 50 Great Myths About Religions