By Philip Sheldrake
Engagingly written by means of one of many world’s prime students during this box, this comprehensively revised version tells the tale of Christian spirituality from its origins within the New testomony correct as much as the current day.
- Charts the most figures, principles, pictures and historic sessions, displaying how and why spirituality has replaced and constructed over the centuries
- Includes new chapters at the nature and that means of spirituality, and on spirituality within the twenty first century; and an account of the advance and major beneficial properties of devotional spirituality
- Provides new assurance of Christian spirituality’s courting to different faiths all through historical past, and their impact and influence on Christian ideals and practices
- Features improved sections on mysticism, its dating to spirituality, the most important mystical figures, and the improvement of principles of ‘the mystical’
- Explores the interaction among tradition, geography, and spirituality, taking an international standpoint by way of tracing non secular advancements throughout continents
Read or Download Spirituality: A Brief History PDF
Best Religion Spirituality books
During this probing, hard and private account of his personal religion and emotions approximately God and faith, Paul Johnson explores the facts for God's life; the character and gender of God; the matter of evil; good looks, artwork and God; our duties towards animals and the surroundings; the significance of authority, rite and liturgy; the Christian church and different faiths; altering attitudes towards demise; the Day of Judgment; the lifestyles of Hell; and the makes use of of prayer.
Madhyamaka and Yogacara are the 2 central colleges of Mahayana Buddhist philosophy. whereas Madhyamaka asserts the last word vacancy and standard truth of all phenomena, Yogacara is mostly thought of to be idealistic. This number of essays addresses the measure to which those philosophical ways are constant or complementary.
This attention-grabbing publication considers platforms of trust and perform which aren't religions within the full-blown feel, yet which however impact human existence in methods just like the function performed by way of the known religions. Professor Smith's thorough account compares the beneficial properties which Humanism, Marxism and Nationalism proportion with acknowledged religions, analysing every one in flip, and asks even if there's not consistently a danger of the demonic whilst any contingent fact - guy, the industrial order, or the country - is made absolute.
Extra resources for Spirituality: A Brief History